VALLETTA, MALTA - 3 November 2013: Graves at the Msida Garden of Rest in Valletta, Malta, on November 3rd 2013. The Garden was the main protestant cemetery or burial place in Malta from about 1806. The Garden of Rest lies in the Msida Bastion, which is so called because it overlooks Msida across the Harbour.
Valleta was named after Jean Parisot de Valette of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, who succeeded in defending the island from an Ottoman invasion in 1565, known as the Siege of Malta. The city was founded immediately after the end of the Siege of Malta to fortify the Order's position in Malta and bind the Knights to the island.