PALERMO, ITALY - 22 MARCH 2017: The walls of Palazzo Chiaramonte-Steri - today part of the University of Palermo - which between 1601 and 1782 served as the prison and tribunal of the Inquisition, preserve the anguished scratched scrawls of past inmates, including some written in Hebrew, in Palermo, Italy, on March 22nd 2017.
In 1492, Sicily’s Jews were banished from the island, the victims of a Spanish edict that forced thousands to leave and others to convert to Roman Catholicism. On Jan. 12, exactly 524 years to the day that the edict gave as a deadline for Sicily’s Jews to depart, Palermo’s archbishop, Corrado Lorefice, granted the emerging community the use of a deconsacrated oratory, to be transformed into Palermo’s first stable synagogue in five centuries. The synagogue will be located in what once was known as the Giudecca, Palermo’s ancient Jewish quarter
- ©2017 Gianni Cipriano
- Image Size
- 5760x3840 / 17.1MB
- Contained in galleries